Date Nut and Seed Bites
Initially, I set out to make Bliss Balls to satisfy the 11:00am and 3:00pm sweet cravings. But as I started to combine ingredients together, the food processor I used wasn’t cooperating with me, forcing me to seek an alternative method to complete what I have started. Frustrated that my food processor refused to chop up the dates, I went old fashioned and cut them up with a knife instead. In the process I thought to myself, why not bake it instead of rolling them into round balls? So here it is: a mistake turned good.
– 90g raw cashews
– 90g unsalted almonds
– 90g flaxseed
– 90g hazelnut meal
– 90g almond meal
– 90g sunflower kernels
– 350g pitted dates, finely chopped
– 40g sultanas (optional), finely chopped
– 3 tbs vanilla essence
– 2 tbs cocoa
– desiccated coconut to coat (optional)
Makes approximately 32
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees (160 degrees if fan forced). Grease a 11″ x 7″ (base measurement) slice pan and line with baking paper hanging over the sides.
2. Place cashews, almonds, flaxseed, hazelnut meal, almond meal, sunflower kernels in a food processor and blitz until ingredients are ground (fine texture). Transfer into a large bowl.
3. Add dates, sultanas, vanilla essence and cocoa to the bowl and mix evenly with hands to combine ingredients.
4. Transfer mixture into slice pan and even out with spatula. Bake for 20 minutes or until surface is firm. Set aside to cool for approximately 1 hour then cut into squares to serve. Sprinkle with desiccated coconut (optional).